here a to-do list to setup an HA Active-Passive Cluster Fortigate with 2 FortiGate-500E:
- Connect to mgmt interface on each FortiGate, DHCP on your laptop and go to https://192.168.1.99
- User: admin Password: blank
- CHANGE the PASSWORD!!!
- Set an ip on outside interface on both Firewalls
- Register appliances on https://support.fortinet.com
- Reserve an additional port (copper or fiber) in addition to the HA port.
- Cable HA ports like the example:
- Build the HA on Master node under System > HA menu:
- Build the HA on Slave node under System > HA menu:
- Check HA status in console:
get system ha status
In a datacenter scenario you may have a stretched vlans across two sites. We use two HA links: one in a Heartbeat vlan in the Datacenter Backbone and one in a Heartbeat vpls link in our MPLS network.